Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fried Apples

I remember my Mom making this when I was growing up and so I continued to do this once I got married, but most people around this area have not heard of fried apples. We love to fix them when we have company and are doing a home cooked meal. Most of time we get a reaction of "Um, can you tell me what this is?" Only our former minister's family had ever heard of or fixed them.

This is an easy dish that we serve with our meal and not as a dessert. They will not look like a traditional fried food (hard and crispy on the outside, rather they will be tender when fully cooked.
  1. I like to use a harder type apple (Pink Lady, Rome, Braeburn). Core and slice some apples – about 1-2 for each person that you’re fixing dinner for, into wedges and then cut those in half. You’ll have a bunch of little wedges.
  2. Put some butter (you MUST use REAL butter) in a skillet (I use a non-stick skillet) and melt over medium heat. As the apples are cooking you may need to add some more butter if it looks like you don't have enough - make sure the butter doesn't cook completely out or they will burn.
  3. Add the apples; stir/turn the apples to make sure that all are coated by the butter.
  4. Sauté 15 to 20 minutes or until apples are tender, but not too soft or too brown. If you cook them too long they might become gooey. You will need to turn them from time to time to ensure even cooking. Some people like to add some cinnamon and nutmeg, though I never have.

No comments: