Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cornbread and Chili

With the chill in the air and frost on the lawn, my family begs for those comfy winter dishes that we love. One of those main staples for the winter is Cornbread and Chili. My father-in-law loves my cornbread and chili, and I've been known to made up a huge batch so I can leave some with them. I love it when the family gets excited about something being done in the kitchen.

I must confess that my chili recipe is nothing special. I get a package of 2-Alarm chili (except the red peppers), add a pound of cooked deer or turkey meat, brown a pork chop, cut that into small pieces. throw it in with a couple of cans of tomato sauce (maybe even a can of diced tomatoes), throw in a few cans of pinto beans, a cut up stalk of celery, and a few tablespoons of brown sugar. Let it simmer in the crock pot or in a dutch oven for an hour or two (if you're not in a hurry). Now my husband is originally from Indiana and he loves his chili mixed with elbow macaroni. That makes me think more of something they used to serve us in the cafeteria in school, but I like my chili on a baked potato with lots of cheese!


One of my favorite cookbooks is by Linda Fisher, The Muffin Lady. She does things simply with her hands and with her heart. I love her cornbread recipe - and wanted to share it with you. . Best served on a cold day with butter and jelly (if you're like my hubby).

The Best Yet Sweet Cornbread

4 T. butter
1 T. baking powder
1/4 c. oil
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. cornmeal
2 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. milk

  1. Preheat the oven to 350ยบ. Allow 10 minutes for preheating.
  2. Put the butter and oil in a 9 inch square cake pan (Sometimes I make my cornbread in an iron skillet instead of a stone square pan and place in the oven until the butter melts and browns, approximately 10-15 minutes. Make sure the oil/butter coats the sides of the pan/dish you are using, so you have a smooth release.
  3. Combine all dry ingredients, make a well in the center.
  4. Add the eggs and milk, stirring well.
  5. Pour the melted butter and oil on top and stir gently until completely blended.
  6. Pour the batter into the same pan used to melt the butter/oil.
  7. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until light golden brown.
*Yields about 8-10 servings.

No comments: