Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Homemade Cleaners

For some time, I have made my own laundry detergent, glass cleaner, and 409 Cleaner.  Do I do it because of chemicals in store bought cleaners?  No, not really.  I do it to simply save money and I wanted to share this with you today. There are lots of different recipes for these out there, this simply is what works for me.


Liquid 409 Cleaner
Mix the following in a spray bottle and shake well.
1/2 tsp. soda wash (Arm & Hammer)
2 tsp. borax
1/2 tsp liquid detergent (I use Dawn)
2 C. hot water (to help the borax to dissolve better)

Soft Scrub
2 C. baking soda
1/2 Castile soap (usually found in the face soap section in our grocery store)
4 tsp. veggie glycerin
4-5 drops of essential oil if you want, but not necessary (lavender is our favorite)

Glass Cleaner 
Option 1
4 fl oz rubbing alcohol
4 oz. ammonia (I've had a gallon of this for years - doesn't take much because it is VERY strong)
3 pt. water

Option 2 w/o ammonia
1/2 C. rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol
1 Tbsp vinegar
2 1/2 C.  water


Toilet Bowl cleaner  (but you can use it to clean sinks, counters, etc)
Mix the following, put in a spray bottle to use

2 Qt.  or 64 oz (1/2 gal) warm water
1/2 C. ammonia
1/4 C. white distilled vinegar
1/4 C. baking soda

No comments: