Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mary's Cake Donuts

Last week I experimented with three types of homemade donuts, my poor suffering family casts their votes for favorites and gladly took part in the taste tasting. Head over my blog to read my thoughts on doughnuts. But yesterday, I had to try yet another, and here it is - Mary's Cake Donuts.  I received this recipe from a friend, Melissa, who raved about her grandmother's cake donuts, so I had to try them.  Here is the 50+ year old cake Donut recipe


Mix the following Ingredients in a large bowl:
2 eggs beaten
1 C. sugar
1/2 C. Shortening/veg oil (once again, I used Olive Oil simply this is what we use)
1 C. sour milk  (typically this is buttermilk)**
            ** I do not buy buttermilk, but rather use 1 C. 2% or Whole milk and add 1 Tbsp. lemon juice or white vinegar. Let this  
                 sit for 5 minutes before using. - it's just like buttermilk!


Combine the following dry ingredients and gradually add to the liquid mixture. 


4 C. flour
4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg


If dough is to soft to handle, add more flour up to 1/2 C. Roll out to about 1/2 " thick and cut donuts.  You can get fancy with them and "braid" two 6" strips.  Heat oil in skillet on medium heat, not too high or they will cook too quickly.  Fry in oil till light brown. Turn only once.  While still hot, roll in cinnamon sugar or sprinkle with powdered sugar, left plain these are awesome for coffee dunking. 


I substituted vanilla for the cinnamon and nutmeg for a plain cake doughnut


They were eaten quickly enough.  Only said they were not as sweet as some of the others, but they actually fried up more like yeast donuts.  More fluffy, but still a cake doughnut.   Happy experimenting!


No comments: