Sunday, November 23, 2008

Delicious cinnamon rolls

You can use left over Homemade Pizza or roll dough to make delicious cinnamon rolls.


Here is what I did:
  1. I took the left over dough that had already risen once, punched it down and plopped it down on a floured surface.  Using my french rolling pin (you can use what ever type of rolling pin or your hands if you like!) to roll it out - about 1/2" thick.

  2. I softened a stick of unsalted butter, smeared that liberally over the top of the rolled out dough.

  3. I then sprinkled a mixture of cinnamon sugar(1/2 C. sugar and 1/4 C. cinnamon) over the top of the softened butter. If you want you can sprinkle raisins or pecans on this at this time.
  4. Started with the long side of the rolled out dough, started rolling the dough toward the other side of the dough - like a jelly-roll.pinch the edges to seal it.

  5. Slice the dough into 1 1/2" to 2 inch pieces. Arrange dough pieces, cut side up, in a greased 12-inch deep dish or round cake pans.
  6. Cover dough with a clear plastic wrap or clean flour sack dishtowel (this is what I use). Let raise until doubled in size - anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour.

  7. Bake in a 375ยบ oven for 20-30 minutes or till light brown. If necessary, to prevent over browning, cover the rolls loosely with foil the last 5-10 minutes of baking.
  8. As the rolls are cooling slightly, mix up the following for the glaze: I like to drizzle this on my rolls, letting the glaze flow into the crevices and then lick the bowl if you want!
Glaze 1 (I prefer)
  • 1/2 bag powdered sugar
  • vanilla to taste
  • 1/2 stick melted real butter
  • tsp. or two of flavored coffee creamer 
 Glaze 2
    • 4 C. powdered sugar
    • 1 C. + 2 Tbsp soft butter
    • 2 tsp. vanilla
    • add milk to make creamy and spreadable.

    2 comments:

    Jacque said...

    Oh, great idea!! I have some leftover pizza dough in the fridge and I'm not real excited about making pizza again.

    Yours look delish!

    Flourchild said...

    These look good! Thanks for the kind words you left for me. I hope your TG was great. CA was nice, but it's so good to be home!